This load-and-go slow-cooker chicken recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
- 1 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight and drained (see Tip)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (4 ounce) Parmesan cheese rind plus 2/3 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (1 pound each)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine beans, broth, onion, carrots, rosemary and Parmesan rind in a 6-quart slow cooker. Top with chicken. Cover and cook on Low until the beans and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred the chicken, discarding bones.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in kale. Cover and cook on High until the kale is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper; discard the Parmesan rind. Serve the stew drizzled with oil and sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tip: To save time, you can substitute 4 (15 ounce) cans no-salt-added cannellini beans (rinsed) for the soaked dried beans.
Equipment: 6-qt. slow cooker
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Per Serving: 493 calories; protein 44.2g; carbohydrates 53.8g; dietary fiber 27.4g; sugars 4.5g; fat 10.9g; saturated fat 3g; cholesterol 67.8mg; vitamin a iu 4792.5IU; vitamin c 20.3mg; folate 31.8mcg; calcium 198.7mg; iron 7.1mg; magnesium 148.9mg; potassium 1556.6mg; sodium 518.4mg.
Exchanges: 4 1/2 lean protein, 2 starch, 1 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 high-fat protein
Original recipe can be found on EatingWell.com.