- Cooking spray
- 1 tofu brick
- 2 teaspoons canola, corn, or extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ medium head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated (optional)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Lightly spray a large skillet or wok with cooking spray. Cook the tofu over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer the tofu to a plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the cabbage and carrots for 4 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring frequently. Stir in the reserved chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, peanut butter, and gingerroot. Stir into the tofu mixture. Cook for 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Spoon the rice onto plates. Top with the tofu mixture. Sprinkle with the peanuts and green onion.
Chef’s tip: Substitute chickpeas and mushrooms to make this a vegetarian meal.
Nutrition Tip: Mushrooms and chickpeas are rich in fiber and phytonutrients that help keep your blood sugar stable for weight loss, diabetes control or cardiovascular disease prevention.
Ready to take the next step?
Our Lifestyle Medicine team is here to support you on your journey to better health. Connect with one of our Board-Certified Lifestyle Medicine Specialists today.