Recipe by Alexandra Babcock, MPH, RDN, DipACLM
- 1, 16 oz can Pinto Beans
- 1, 16 oz can Chickpeas
- 1, 16 oz can Kidney Beans
- 1, 16 oz can Canned Tomatoes
- 1 medium Zucchini or Squash
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp. Cumin Powder
- Lay out and wash all ingredients.
- Dice onion and chop zucchini into bite sized pieces. Add to soup pot.
- Add 2 Tbsp of water to begin to steam veggies.
- Add in spices and salt to taste.
- Rinse all canned beans and add to pot with canned tomatoes.
- Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or with a whole-wheat bun.
Chef tip: This chili freezes well for up to 6 months in well-sealed containers.
Fun fact: Beans are an excellent source of plant-based protein with 6-7 grams per serving and are rich in fiber to promote digestion and lower cholesterol.