4 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dried cherries (may substitute other dried fruit)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup low-fat granola with no dried fruit
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2.Using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer, beat the butter, applesauce, egg and vanilla extract until just combined in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir until combined.
4. Stir dried cherries, coconut, granola, and chocolate chips.
5. Cover dough mixture and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before baking.
6. On a parchment lined baking tray, drop 1 rounded tablespoon of dough on cookie sheet. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cookies are golden brown; rotate pan halfway through cooking.
7. Remove cookies from oven and allow to cool on tray for 3 minutes before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling.