- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 cups water
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup dark leafy green (kale, collards, chard), chopped
- 4 medium baby red potatoes, diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Begin by laying out all ingredients and kitchen equipment.
- Chop celery, onion, carrots and add to a medium to large sauce pan with 1 Tbsp of water. Place on medium heat and begin to sweat the onions.
- While cooking, dice potatoes and kale. Set aside.
- Add spices to the vegetable mixture in the pan and toast until fragrant.
- Add potatoes, lentils, and water to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 15-minutes or until vegetables are cooked through. You may add more water if needed.
- Finally, add kale and cook and until wilted, but still bright green.
- Serve immediately with a slice of whole-wheat bread.
Chef tip: Soup will freeze well and keep in your freezer for up to 3 months.
Low sodium bread: Ezekial 4:9 (regular has 75 mg sodium, low sodium has zero mg sodium)
Low sodium crackers: WASA crackers (whole grain, light rye, gluten-free)
Ready to take the next step?
Our Lifestyle Medicine team is here to support you on your journey to better health. Connect with one of our Board-Certified Lifestyle Medicine Specialists today.