1 cup serving
1 cup farro, uncooked
4 cups root vegetables, diced (beets, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, etc.)
1 can chickpeas, no salt added (NSA), drained, liquid reserved
1 apple, diced
2 tbsp reserved chickpea liquid
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp stone ground mustard
¼ cup fresh chives or green onion, chopped
¼- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F
- Place cut root vegetables on a silicon mat lined baking sheet. If not using a silicon mat, use parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil. Bake root vegetables for 25 minutes. Let cool before combining with other ingredients.
- While vegetables roast, cook the farro. Combine 1 cup farro with 2 cups liquid (water or NSA vegetable broth) in a medium saucepan. Bring farro and liquid to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Combine cooked farro, roasted vegetables, chickpeas and apples in a bowl.
- To prepare dressing, whisk remaining ingredients together and pour harvest salad.
- Kuner’s brand of no salt added chickpeas are available at Meijer. Alternatively, if you cannot find no salt added chickpeas, look for low sodium beans where the mg of sodium are less than the calories per serving.
- Using a silicon mat allows you to cook and bake without the need for oil. Find a silicon mat or “silpat” at Meijer, Walmart, Target or Bed Bath and Beyond.
- Feel free to substitute the farro and chickpeas for any other whole grain or NSA bean.