By Alexandra Babcock, MPH, RDN
Enjoy these light, healthy and tasty recipes brought to you by the Lifestyle Medicine Team!
Makes 4 servings
1 cup quinoa, cooked
½ cup carrots, shredded
½ cup mushrooms, minced
2 Tbsp ground flax
6 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
- Lay out cutting board, knife, cheese grater, sauce pan, small mixing bowl, measuring spoons, and mixing spoon. You will also need a greased cookie sheet. Preheat Oven to 350F. Wash all vegetables.
- Rinse ½ cup of quinoa under water until water runs clear. Add the quinoa, 1 cup of water, and a pinch of salt to a sauce pan. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer until the water is cooked off. This will take approximately 10 minutes. Stir with a fork and set aside to cool.
- While quinoa cooks, peel your carrot. Grate carrot over the cheese grater and place ½ cup into a mixing bowl.
- Cut your mushrooms until they are in ½ cm sized, minced pieces. Add ½ cup to the mixing bowl.
- Place flax and water into a small bowl. Stir and set aside for 3 minutes until the flax meal gels into a flax egg. Then add the “egg” to the mixing bowl.
- Add remaining spices and cooked 1 cup of quinoa to the mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Form 4 patties about a ½ cup each using your hands. Place on the cookie tray.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25min or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately or freeze in bags for up to 2 months.
- Make more quinoa than the recipe calls for and store it in the fridge for use in meal preparation for up to 5 days. Cook quinoa using 1 part dried grain and 2 parts water.
- Feel free to use more spices in this recipe. Garlic, turmeric, parsley, and ginger all go well with this dish!